Friday, July 11, 2008

Flakey People




Have you ever counted on someone to keep his/her word and then when he/she doesn't, you get extremely annoyed and frustrated, and wonder why did I bother in the first place? This happened to me on Wednesday.


On Tuesday, as I was walking towards my neighbor's house, I saw her walking in to her house. I've known her for about 27 years & have always considered her like a second mother. I was on my way to go for a walk when I asked if she wanted to join me. After a few minutes, she said yes and I waited for her to get ready. We proceeded going on our 30 minute walk and talked about what each of us has been doing lately. On our way back home, the neighbors across the street saw us and struck up a conversation with us. They commented on how walking was good exercise. Then I hear my second mom say that we were planning on going for another walk tomorrow. As I left her house, we briefly discussed our plans and I left to go home.


So it's about 7:00 pm on Wednesday and I call her home, and her hubby answers the phone. He explains that she isn't home yet, but that he was going to try her on her cell. After a few bad connections, he finally got a hold of her. He asked where she was & she stated that she was getting her nails done. I thanked her husband for having made the call and hung up the phone.


I just felt really disappointed with my neighbor. I was taking her word that we had made plans. But then she doesn't have the courtesy to call to say she couldn't go after all. I just don't get it. I can understand if she forgot, but I just didn't like how she left me just hanging. I'm not very fond of people who suddenly flake out on their friends.


Sometimes I am better off just doing things by myself. I'm not going to let these types of situations happen to me again.

6 comments:

Girl in Carolina said...

I totally feel you on this situation. I'm a stickler for keeping plans with people, and I get really frustrated and disapointed when the courtesy is not returned. And I think it also hurts my feelings (which sounds childish but true) Your time is important to you, and when others don't treat it that way, it's just plain rude. Sorry gal :( If I was there, we'd walk rain or shine. I need a walking partner.

Little Sister Pixie said...

Thanks CG! :)

Girl in Carolina said...

girl, you need a new post! I'm having withdrawels!

Penny Lane said...

So true, so true. It makes me crazy when people flake out. I have a couple friends that whenever I make plans with them, I make backup plans because more often than not, they flake. Why do we put up with it?!?

Little Sister Pixie said...

Carolina Girl, I'm working on an update, so you shouldn't lose any sleep over it! ;)

Penny Lane, we put up with it because we're NICE people & let others walk all over us. No more Ms. Nice Gal for me!

SKAWF said...

well, just to add to the whole 'flakey' thing, up until a couple of weeks ago, i'd never heard of the term 'flakey' ....

there was this girl.... i'm not one of those blokes who'll go after ANY girl. i only pick the ones i feel a connection with, truth be told, insecurity, fear of rejection etc ive let girls go without saying anything, and then given myself a hard time for blah blah blah, then i meet this girl.
i'd never thought of eye contact in this way before, but i actually enjoyed looking into her eyes, and something else i got a physical sensation of warmth from her, like if i was in a room and i had my eyes closed, i could tell where she was, strange but true, anyway, i think, i'm getting signals from her, so i plucked up the courage and asked her out. she said yes, and i was well happy (the gamble had paid off) that lasted about a week, then my instincts started kicking in, something felt wrong, but ( i should say at this point, i dont lie to people.) i had no reason to think anything bad was going on, then little things one after the other, anyway i focused my attention on more reliable things, and a week or so later, she apologised for bieng 'a bit flakey lately' and that she still wanted to meet up, and then she just blanked me, she would answer the phone if she didnt recognise the number but mainly just saying one thing, and doing the opposite, i'm feeling insecure self concious, wondering what i couldve done to piss her off, it may sound a bit pathetic the whole thing hit me hard. today though, i found out what flakey means. the definition is right on the money. i dont feel self concious now, and i feel that i can proceed with a damn sight more confidence than i have lately, knowing that i DIDnt do ANYTHING to piss her off, it was just that she couldnt give a toss about anyone but herself. if i see her again, i'll be flakey with her. you know, make plans and as soon as ive said the words just forget em. it'll be interesting to see whether a flakey person even realises when someone is bieng deliberately insincere with THEM. x