Thursday, July 31, 2008

What's wrong with me?




I can totally kick myself for what didn't happen yesterday.

I had to run an errand at Banana Republic yesterday because I needed to return an item I didn't want anymore. So I get in line & wait patiently while the guy in front of me is being helped by the young cashier. I didn't notice this guy at first, but after a few seconds I glance over at him and say to myself, "Hey, he's kind of cute." Actually, I thought he resembled this guy I once had a crush on when I was 16 or 17 years old. My first instinct was to check his left hand to see if he was wearing a wedding ring. I know, I know. Some guys don't wear a ring, but for me, this is one of the first things I have to look for when I see a cutie. I definitely don't want a married man!

So now I'm feeling awkward. I don't know what to do. I look towards the door & around the entire store. I don't want to seem obvious that I'm trying to check him out. So as I'm looking around, I notice he's looking towards me! I think he's checking me out! Well, actually I think he was looking at my shoes. I was wearing running shoes when I really should've been wearing my girly shoes...my cute, comfy sandals. Oh, and I hate to admit this, but I wasn't looking my best. I was wearing jeans, a collared shirt/blouse & my sweater over my shirt. Plus, the only make-up I was wearing was foundation. :(

Ok, but the worst part is that [this is where I can kick myself for this] I did NOT make any eye contact with him nor did I say hello. All I can remember was that he was 30ish, about 5'9", and he was wearing a dark t-shirt, jeans, and work boots. At one point, I noticed the store's young, assistant manager was helping him select a piece of clothing to exchange for what he had returned. Hmm...I think this totally screams that he's either single or he just doesn't know how to dress. I'm just so mad at myself because I know I'll probably never see this guy again & didn't make any effort to start a conversation.

I wish I could say that I'm going back to the Banana store, but it's sort of out of my way. I'm tempted to post one of those "missed connections" thingy on Craigslist, but I don't want some wacko (ok, hopefully this cutie isn't one) to find and respond to it.

Why do I have such a hard time talking to guys? I didn't have this problem of awkwardness last October when I smiled & made eye contact with Mr. Cutie at Office Depot. Am I hopeless?

I think I'll be making this as one of my goals on my vision board.

1 comments:

Girl in Carolina said...

This is what goes on in my head when I see a cute guy that is possibly single:

"Wow, he's cute. No ring, check!"

"Hmm, is he looking at me??No way..."

"Why didn't I touch up my makeup? And I'm wearing my fat pants today."

"Crap, the girl behind the counter is a size 2 and gorgeous."

"Yep, he's totally looking at her. Why bother."

Why do we do this to ourselves?!?! I am the same way. I do this all the time. You are right - we need to work on this asap. I think first order of business is to smile and say hello. It sounds so simple, yet...it's not. *sigh*