Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Everything is coming up roses!



Two weeks ago, a friend of mine sent me a link to a posting she thought I might be interested in. The link was tweeted (a term commonly used on Twitter) by the editor of an online blog based in Los Angeles. The editor mentioned that if there were any interested writers out there to contact her. That evening I emailed her and the following morning the editor emailed me back. I told her I was interested and if it was going to be a problem contributing since I live several hours north of the city. She assured me that since everything is done online these days, anything is possible!

Thank you to my friend "C"--who lives in L.A.--for sending me the link! Without her, I may have not seen it. She said that I was the first person she thought of when she read the tweet. It's comforting to know that I still have a few friends left who are looking out for my best interest. :)

So when the editor of the blog and I made contact, she asked me if there was a story I wanted to write about. I remembered that I had read that actor David Nelson had passed away the night before so I asked if I could write about his passing. The editor gave me the ok to write the story, so I finished it and emailed it to her before deadline the same day. Well, that evening the story got published!

I'm trying to come up with more ideas for stories, but sometimes I'm beaten to the punch by actual staff writers that work for the L.A. blog. Although the position is voluntary, I see it as a stepping stone for my future career. It will also allow me to make more contacts who actually live in the area.

I'm so grateful for any opportunity I can get because it gives me a sense of satisfaction that someone really believes in my writing.

1 comments:

Girl in Carolina said...

I think that's fantastic. It's definitely those kind of opportunities that end up panning out sometimes to bigger and better things. Keep writing! You are so talented.