Monday, September 22, 2008

Could life get any better?





A few weeks ago, my Journalism instructor told us that we'd be having a guest speaker come in to our class. She said that before his arrival, we'd get into two groups and would work together on asking him questions. One group would take on the task of asking him professional questions, while the other group was going to ask him more personal questions. I got stuck in the group where we asked the personal questions. Mind you, I'm one of three students, who happens to be older than everyone else there, so I got stuck with someone close to my age and a bunch of young 20somethings! I actually contributed two questions, which two of my classmates were going to ask the guest speaker.


Alas, last Thursday, our guest speaker, J, who is a reporter for the major newspaper in my area, came in to our class. As he walked towards where I sat, he said to me, "You look familiar." I, who's actually a little rusty at practicing my flirting skills, mumbled something like, "I don't think so." Honestly, I am good at remembering faces and I think I would've remembered if I had met him before! Ok, let's just say that he's not bad to look at! ;)


So J takes a chair within arms reach of me and the other group starts questioning him first. They asked pretty decent questions about his career as a reporter and the stories he's covered. After about 20 minutes, it was now my group's turn to ask him more personal questions. As I said before, I was in arms reach of him, so I could've easily volunteered to ask the questions, but two younger classmates took turns asking him things that I actually would've liked to have asked, which are: What is your status (Single or Married) and do you have kids? So sad to say this, but he is married and has two kids! Oh well. Also, they asked him his age (he's 41. Hmm...that's still fairly young!) and what inspired him to get into this career (I actually submitted this question to my group, but the wording got changed around)? The poor guy had a bout of laryngitis, but we could easily understand or hear his responses. I just started rolling my eyes when it was my group's turn and when my classmates started asking him the off-the-wall, outlandish questions like: How much did your jacket cost? Do you prefer boxers or briefs? And which Harry Potter book is your favorite? I know my classmates were just having some fun, but sometimes you have to be serious.


Overall, I think J did a pretty good job at being interrogated by us would-be reporters/writers. Class was now over and as I was gathering my belongings to leave, he asked if I knew where such-and-such department was and I told him I'd take him there. Hey, I'm gracious to show any cute reporter guy, who doesn't know his way around, where he needs to go. Besides, I work on-campus and I know it like the back of my hand! Anyway, as we approached the elevator, he told me again that I looked familiar. He asked me about my family & I told him I had two siblings and that they both worked in the public sector. I even mentioned my brother's name, not like it would mean anything, but my brother can be pretty outspoken! So I made idle conversation with him {under normal circumstances & when meeting someone new, I don't usually do this, especially if it's a cute guy} about the fact that he dropped out of college. He said he did it because of the enormous loans he had. However, he was very lucky to get into his line of work without a degree. He told us that that he used to work for another newspaper several years ago, which got him "his foot in the door."


As we walked towards the other side of campus, we just started talking about random stuff that had to do with his line of work and then we talked about my instructor & her classes. I then mentioned what my major was and minor things about my background. He asked if I knew another language or if I had a family (i.e. spouse or children), in which I answered yes and no. He said that those things right there are a step-up and/or advantages I have. In other words, I could easily get into any career I wanted to and live just about anywhere [I told him I was anxious to move out of my area, eventually]. I briefly mentioned the article I got published and the fact that I'm interning at the publication. I told him that I have a few assignments to write for class and that I may have the opportunity to write another story or two for the publication I'm working at. He actually gave me a tip on a story that hasn't been covered--not even by his newspaper--that I could easily market to several publications under the business category.


Well, we finally arrived to his destination, which was inside the building next to my work. This is where I thanked him for coming to speak to our class and that's when I asked him for his business card. Then he thanked me for showing him where he needed to go and I told him I'd definitely be in touch.


I plan on e-mailing J as soon as I have some time to do so. I was just happy to have met someone new and who shares my similar interest or background, who I could possibly network with in the future. This whole networking thing is still sort of new and tough for me. I've always been a little on the shy side, but am gradually working on getting better. Also, my immediate area is really not the best place to do any networking. Ideally, I'm hoping to meet more people either through the publication I'm at or through friends.


Right now my mind is on finishing up a paper for my class and then starting on another assignment, which I'm not looking forward to. In the midst of it all, I've got other things on my plate and still have faith that everything will get done!

1 comments:

Girl in Carolina said...

Wow, good job! I'm very proud of you...meeting new people IS hard and scary sometimes. This could pan out to be a really good reference someday.