Saturday, August 25, 2012

Back to School...and some prayers needed

This week I started back at school again. I'm taking two classes this semester, except the second one is a short-term course and doesn't begin until October, where as the other class I'm taking currently is math, aka Statistics, aka my "enemy."

Recently, a few people had asked me what class I was going to be taking in the fall and I mentioned the Statistics class. The comments I got were not at all comforting. Some told me that it was a hard class, while others said that they wished they would've taken another class. Last Thursday, I had a one-on-one conversation with my instructor and told him that since junior high, math has never been my best subject. He did tell me that this class is a lot different than the Algebra class I took with him two semesters ago. I'm just praying that I pass it because it's the last class I need to take so that I can transfer next fall.

This semester, I intend to get one-on-one tutoring (again) and will be doing drop-in tutoring whenever I need help. I just finished the first two homework assignments earlier this week and I didn't find them to be too hard. However, I know I need to work on memorizing the vocabulary in my book. I'm crossing my fingers and intending that everything goes well.

In other news, today I found out that my cousin "T," who's 50, is not doing so well. My mother had a conversation with her older brother today and he told my mother that his sister has liver cancer. We knew she was sick with cancer, but we didn't know to what extent. Her brother said that her cancer is advanced and is currently seeking another opinion, in San Diego. She lives about two hours northeast from San Diego and the doctors there don't seem to be doing much for her in her hometown. Then again, it seems that there's not much more they can do on their end since her cancer is so advanced. :(

I'm still holding out and praying that my cousin gets well. However, I'm just dreading the day when my mom gets THE call from one of her nieces or nephews telling her that my cousin didn't survive. My family has already gone through two deaths within the last year and I'm not sure how much more we can take.

Life isn't fair, especially when you have a loved one who is ill and there's nothing you can do about it. Word of advice: get yourself tested when you're supposed to and/or seek out the proper medical attention before it's too late and spend as much time as you can with your family before it's too late.

0 comments: