Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I'm the best candidate for the job!

About a week ago, I e-mailed a query to a local publication, which I've enjoyed reading over the years. In fact, a former employer of mine used to subscribe to this publication, so when I picked up the mail, I couldn't help but read it. So the Editor of this publication replied to my query e-mail & stated that the story I submitted could be a possibility for the May '08 issue. Boy, was I shocked! Finally, a possible "Yes"! She then proceeded to ask me for clips of stories I've written. I told her that I didn't have any clips because the only writing I've ever done is for my college English class. I went ahead and sent her a copy of two stories I had written, which I considered some of my best work. I went on to explain to her that I am a new writer [my instructor didn't want myself or my classmates to come off as 'students' in our queries] and that I didn't have any clips I could send her.

A day later, I received another response from the Editor. She told me to send her a rough draft of my story and that we'd go from there. She also added that the company is looking to hire an Assistant Editor & that I should take a look at the job description she had sent me and see if this would be something I'd be interested in. Is this a sign from God or what?! About two months ago, I had every intention of applying for an internship with this publication when I saw an ad in one of their issues, but I never had time to send off my résumé. Well, the opportunity finally arose last Friday when I e-mailed her my cover letter & résumé.

Well, it's been four days now and I still haven't heard from her. I hope she didn't think I was overqualified for the position. Also, I seem to read a lot into things and think that because I don't have certain qualifications--the job is requiring a degree in a related field--that maybe she's taking into account all of this. :( I've never been formally trained; however, at a very young age, I found that the English language and anything related to Journalism were my strong points. Even the career tests I took in college pointed me in the direction of Journalism! In fact, whenever I found myself in a work or school setting, my colleagues or classmates would often come to me for help because they knew I excelled in writing, proofreading, and editing. I know that everything can be learned while on-the-job, but does she [the Editor] want to hire someone who has a degree--which I'm working towards now--or has YEARS of experience?

I've relentlessly been working on the story I'm writing so I can have my instructor/adviser look at. Then the next step is to send it off as a rough draft to the Editor. In the meantime, I've got like 4 other school projects that I'm working on--with due dates looming--and an exam I'm not ready for--again--on Tuesday. :(

I'm going to let one more day pass and if I don't hear back from the Editor, I am going to e-mail her again because I am VERY interested in this job and I definitely think I'm the best candidate! :)

0 comments: