Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Dilemma of Being Single





I recently had a conversation with a cousin of mine from So Cal, who happens to be 2 years older than me. I hadn't talked to her in a while, so our conversation was a little overdue. She discussed her problmes with men and with a certain popular, online dating web site. Some of the guys on this site tend to embellish their personal information, which really frustrates her. Some men will say that they're 40, when in fact they're 50! And might I say that a lot of men tend to post pics of themselves that are either old or are a little misleading.

I know my cousin felt comfortable speaking to me about her situation because I have been/am in the same predicament when it comes to guys. I tried online dating some years back, but I found that it just wasn't for me.

My opinion about these dating web sites are that they have their pros and cons. Some pros are that if you're very particular (i.e. picky) on who you want to meet and want to eliminate certain characteristics (i.e. non-smoker vs. non-smoker, etc.) your potential mate may possess, then these sites are for you. But based on my experience, I found more cons than pros. I personally would prefer to meet someone at a grocery store, or at a friend's house, or just by chance. The bar scene isn't an option for me either. Why is it so hard to find a decent guy, especially one who likes you for YOU, who is down-to-earth, shares similar values and interests, is honest and who doesn't play games, and one who doesn't fall for a woman twice as younger than him?

Yesterday, I had lunch with a former co-worker. She was on maternity leave during the time I was laid off from my last job, so we never got to say our good-byes. She had some work gossip to tell me, as well as wanting to share some new photos of her kids.

Towards the end of lunch, my friend asked me if I had a boyfriend yet. I told her "no" and that I honestly didn't want one at this point. I told her that all of the guys I've had feelings for have broken my heart because they were either dating someone prettier, or closer to their age, or a lot younger. I basically told her that I'm leaving everything [and this is where I sound like a broken record] in God's hands for now. Though I would prefer not to be alone for the rest of my life, I'll learn to accept what God has planned for me. If his plans don't include finding love, then maybe they'll include finding a career in writing.

As my friend and I left the Pub, I saw this event sign {see below} that describes my general feelings towards guys at the moment. And I know I'm not the only woman who thinks so too!




And for your viewing pleasure, here's a video by one of my favorite bands. Their song sums up this subject best!



2 comments:

Girl in Carolina said...

Boy, isn't that the truth. I tried the online dating thing too. It seemed so forced and awkward. I really just want to meet someone casually and have that "something clicks with this person" moment. Although one of my best friends just got married to someone she met online. Still, I'm holding out for meeting casually. It can happen. And it will! Right? :)

Little Sister Pixie said...

I have a friend who met her b/f online and they'll be getting married this June. And a high school classmate met his wife on a religious-affiliated web site several years back. So, I suppose it does work for some people.

Yes, I think you can meet "Mr. Right" in any type of casual environment. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us! :)