Friday, November 30, 2012

Intuition


My intuition is usually always right. Well, exactly one week ago today, it was definitely right on!

Last Friday evening, my second cousin "R," who's a year older than me and who was visiting her parents, invited me out to a tapas restaurant/bar, which recently opened up in our neighborhood. Initially, the invitation was for a birthday drink since my birthday was on the 21st. Without hesitation, I answered her text and asked her what time and where. After a few texts, I told her that I'd pick her up at her parents' house.

Five minutes or so later, we arrived at our destination. Since both of us were raised in this town, we started reminiscing about the two businesses that were at this location prior to the tapas restaurant. The new business owners really turned this place in to a nice setting. When we walked in, I was hoping they wouldn't make us sit outside, but they did. Thankfully though, there were long-standing heaters nearby to keep us warm.

My cousin and I were at the restaurant/bar for about two hours just chatting and discussing the fact that we're both single. My cousin and her younger sister "M," (by 2 years) moved two hours southeast many years ago to attend the university. After graduation, they each found a career they had gone to school for. Eventually, "M" got married and now has two small children. Oh, I forgot to mention that "R" is a twin. Her brother "J" is married with one child, and actually lives near me.

Back to last Friday night: we ordered three tapas and a drink each. I wish I could've finished my drink, but I was already getting tipsy and I was the one who had to drive us back. Anyway, I was impressed with two of the tapas we ordered. About an hour or so later, "R" told me that her twin brother and his wife would probably be joining us in a little while. They eventually did, along with two good friends of "J's." "J" is a jokester and always makes us laugh, so we were in good company. The tapas bar was about to close and "J" asked us if we'd be interested in walking to the "new" neighborhood bar just around the corner, which used to be a popular steakhouse. We said yes and made our way there. As we arrived, I was standing near the entrance next to a friend of "J's," trying to get situated. Then about five minutes or so later, I see this attractive-looking guy walking towards my direction, who just happens to be Mr. Cutie! I couldn't tell how many friends he was with him (maybe three), but I only recognized the grey-haired, slender, older woman with him. I honestly think that as he was leaving, he actually saw me.

For some reason or another, Mr. Cutie popped in to my mind just hours before going out. He lives in the same town as I do, but we NEVER run in to each other. The last time I saw him was about two months ago at a festival in town. I thought to myself, "If I run in to him this evening, would I finally have the courage to say something to him?" Obviously, since he wasn't alone, it would've seemed awkward to have said anything. I think he and the grey-haired woman are just friends. Ok, I'm hoping that's all they are.

So the next question is: do I still have feelings for Mr. Cutie? The answer to this question: I don't really know. I've never been forward enough to introduce myself in-person versus the time I FB messaged him three years ago. Seriously, the perfect opportunity would've been to have approached him at the festival, since he was semi-solo, but I didn't. :-(  But then part of me also wonders, "Why doesn't he approach me?"

I guess it's only a matter of time until I get tired of waiting around for someone to initiate a conversation with me. I need to start utilizing certain skills I keep hiding and that I'm working on, and figure out a way to approach others (i.e. mainly men) without feeling nervous or awkward. I guess it's time to push this shyness aside! ;-)

0 comments: